A History of Tindallsville, North Carolina

In 1785, the General Assembly was petitioned to authorize the removal of the existing court house in Montgomery County due to its inconvenient location that required ferrying across the Yadkin River. In 1791, an Act was passed directing that the center of the county be located by actual survey, at which place Stokes was to be established. The commissioners, however, failed to act, and in 1792 new commissioners were named.

The courts were to be held at the home of Mark Kennet unless the justices decided on some other place more convenient. In that year, Henderson was established at the confluence of the Yadkin and Uwharrie Rivers and it became the County Seat for Montgomery County until 1816.

In 1795 the old court house, on the land formerly belonging to James Tindall, was authorized to be sold. Tindallsville had been established in that year. According to some sources, Tindallsville was wiped out by an outbreak of Typhoid Fever, year currently not known to this Author.


Tindallsville was granted a US Post Office on July 1, 1799, and its first Postmaster was Mr. John Campbell. It was permanently closed prior to 1824, exact date and reasons unknown.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved