A History of Troy, North Carolina


Troy Town Hall

The town of Troy, like the rest of Montgomery County, was settled primarily by Scottish immigrants. In 1852, Angus McCaskill, one of the early settlers, donated a tract of fifty acres to the community to serve as the town proper. Until a legislative decree changed the name, the community was know as West's Oldfield. That same decree also located the court house in the new community and made Troy the business center of a thriving county.

The town takes its name from John B. Troy, a popular attorney and solicitor of the judicial district. Legend has it that the streets of Troy are paved with solid gold. When the streets were being paved, fill dirt was brought in from the gold mines in Eldorado, a once thriving mining community north of the town. Local citizens with a sharp eye found gold nuggets in the streets of the city. Even today, Troy still represents a golden opportunity for its citizens and visitors.

The town of Troy has a progressive government with a myriad of excellent services and functions. Troy operates under the Council-Manager form of government. The Town Manager works directly for the Board of Commissioners and oversees all departments of the town.

The Mayor and Board work along with the Town Manager to make sure the town runs efficiently. Mayoral elections are held every two years and the five Board members serve staggered four-year terms. These elections are non-partisan and voters in Troy have the opportunity to vote on all Board members since municipal elections are not held by districts.


Simmons Tanyard was granted a U.S. Post Office on January 13, 1831, and its first Postmaster was Locky Simmons. The name was changed to Troy on June 8, 1846, and its first Postmaster was Wilburn Lassiter. According to the Post Office records, Troy was not made the County Seat until 1855. The Post Office was in continuous operations ever since inception.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved