A History of Tryon Court House, North Carolina

The commissioners appointed by Act of Assembly to select the place whereon to erect and build the court house, prison and stocks of Tryon County, on 26th July, 1774, reported their selection of a place "called the crossroads on Christopher Mauney's land, between the heads of Long Creek, Muddy Creek, and Beaver Dam Creek in the county aforesaid as most central and convenient for the purpose aforesaid."

The location of the old Tryon Court House is about eight miles southwest of present-day Lincolnton, in Lincoln County. This hamlet never amounted to much since Tryon County was abolished in 1779, only four years after it was established as the county seat. Rutherford County and Lincoln County were created totally from the short-lived Tryon County in 1779.

Tryon C.H. was the first county seat for the newly-created Lincoln County in 1779 until 1785, when Lincolnton was established. After 1779, Patriots called the town Lincoln Court House, while Loyalists continued to call the town Tryon Court House.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved