A History of Wadesboro, North Carolina

Established in 1783 as the County Seat for Anson County, Wadesboro was called New Town until 1787, when the name was changed to honor Revolutionary War Patriot Colonel Thomas Wade. Wade's brother-in-law, Patrick Boggan, was a pioneer settler.

Future president Andrew Jackson was issued his license to practice law from the court of Anson County; and future judge Samuel Spencer's first law office was in the new log court house. In 1900, scientists from the United States and Europe gathered in Wadesboro to observe a total eclipse of the sun. Population: 6,080. Altitude: 423 feet.


As Anson C.H., the town was granted a U.S. Post office on October 1, 1797, and its first Postmaster was John West. Officially, the U.S. Post Office Department changed the name to Wadesboro, which was granted a U.S. Post Office on January 1, 1802, and its first Postmaster was Mr. James Lowery. It has been in continuous operation ever since inception.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved