A History of Washington Court House, North Carolina

The Act establishing the second Washington County, North Carolina in 1799 directed that the courts were to be held at Lee's Mill until a court house could be erected in the same vicinity. The town of Washington Court House was established in 1799 and a small town grew around the public buildings. Plymouth was already in existence in 1799 (since 1787), and in 1823 the General Assembly authorized that the county seat be moved from Washington C.H. to Plymouth.

In 1799, there wasn't much at Lee's Mill other than the mill. With the advent of the new court house and other public buildings in the vicinity, even for a relatively short time, kept the location "alive" for many years after the county seat was moved to Plymouth in 1823. Lee's Mill was renamed to Roper, and it continues to this day.

During its 24 years of existence Washington Court House never had a US Post Office. Lee's Mill finally received one on June 18, 1874 and it remained in operation until the town was renamed to Roper. Roper continues to have a Post Office.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved