A History of Wentworth, North Carolina

Wentworth, North Carolina c.1908

In 1796, an act was passed authorizing the purchase of land from Robert Galloway & Company, where public buildings were situated, and the community of Wentworth was established. In 1797 an act was passed suspending operations on the Wentworth courthouse.

In 1798, commissioners were named to establish Wentworth on land given by Robert Galloway for that purpose. The first court was held at Wentworth in May, 1799. Wentworth is the County Seat of Rockingham County, North Carolina.


The new county and its county seat was named for Charles Watson-Wentworth, second marquess of Rockingham (1730-1782) who was a leading Whig and the Prime Minister of Britian from 1765 to 1766 and again in 1782.
Wentworth was granted a US Post Office on July 2, 1819, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Robert Martin. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved