North Carolina Railroads - Atlantic & East Carolina Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

A&EC RR

1939

1939

1958*

Goldsboro, NC

New Bern, NC


*1958 became a subsidiary of Southern Railway.

The Atlantic & North Carolina Railroad was formed in 1854 and by 1858 had completed the line form Morehead City to Goldsboro where it joined with the North Carolina Railroad and the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad.

In 1904, operation of the A&NC was leased to the Norfolk & Southern Railroad. In 1932, the bankrupt N&S defaulted on the lease payments so the A&NC withdrew the lease in 1935 and began operating itself again. In 1939, operations were again leased, this time to the newly-formed Atlantic & East Carolina Railway Co. headquartered in Kinston.

In July of 1946, the A&EC became the shortest railroad in North America to operate mainline diesel power, and by 1951 had completely dieselized its locomotive fleet. In 1958, the A&EC became a subsidiary of the Southern Railway. Today, the line is still owned by the Atlantic & North Carolina which is 70% owned by the State of North Carolina, and merged into the North Carolina Railroad in 1989.


Towns on Route:

Goldsboro

La Grange

Kinston

Dover

Clark

New Bern



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved