North Carolina Railroads - Black Mountain Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

BMRR

unknown

1913

1951*

Kona, NC

Eskota, NC


*1951 sold to local interests and in 1955 reopened as the Yancey Railroad.

Owned by the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad, which was renamed to the Clinchfield Railroad in 1924.


This line began with private investments, then taken over by the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad around 1915. Construction began in 1907, and at the height of its operations the line stretched twenty-three (23) miles from Eskota to Kona.

Daily passenger service included a mixed train, which left Murchison at 9:30 am and picked up passengers along the route to Kona. Reversing its route, the train arrived back in Murchison around 5:20 pm. The round trip was approximately 46 miles long.

Around 1928, most of the timber in the area had been depleted, and the line from Eskota to Burnsville was removed. On the remainder of the line, traffic was reduced so steadily over the next twenty years that in 1951 the Clinchfield Railroad applied for abandonment with the Interstate Commerce Commission. Permission was granted with one stipulation - If local interests wanted to acquire and operate the line, the Clinchfield Railroad was obligated to sell the line at a fair market price.

Local interests did step forward and purchased the line for $22,000, then acquired a new locomotive. A small engine shed was erected in Burnsville, and the railroad was renamed to the Yancey Railroad in 1955.


Towns on Route:

Kona (1916)

Windom

Burnsville

Anatone (1912)

Vixen (1915)

Pensacola

Murchison

Eskota (1914-1922)



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved