|*1890 - Acquired by Seaboard Air Line Railway. Retained its name. Consolidation authorized by NC legislative Act of February 16, 1899.|
|Deed dated May 31, 1880 confirmed in a NC Legislative Act of January 18, 1881 that new owners had acquired the assets of the bankrupt Carolina Central Railway, and was now known as the Carolina Central Railroad. New owners were authorized to mortgage the assets up to $21,000 per mile, with lien(s) against said mortgage(s).|
|Was the Carolina Central Railway.|
SAL Number 416 - Was Carolina Central Number 26
David R. Murchison was the Carolina Central Railroad's first president.
In November of 1881, the Seaboard & Roanoke Railroad (of Virginia) was able to acquire control of the Carolina Central Railroad. Its new president was John M. Robinson, who was also the president of the Seaboard & Roanoke Railroad, the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad, and the Raleigh & Augusta Air Line Railroad.
In 1887, the road was extended farther westward twenty-seven (27) miles from Shelby to Rutherfordton. In 1896, a five-mile branch was constructed from Ellenboro to Carolene, and a spur of two miles was built from Mill Junction to Henrietta Mill. This brought the total mileage of the Carolina Central Railroad to 275 miles of track.
From the 1st Annual Report of the North Carolina Railroad Commission, dated December 31, 1891:
The Carolina Central Railroad Company was organized July 14,
1880, under laws of the State of North Carolina, under an Act
to incorporate the Wilmington & Charlotte Railroad Company
(1855), an Act that the name of the Wilmington & Charlotte
Railroad Company shall be altered and the same company shall
be known and styled the Wilmington, Charlotte & Rutherford
Railroad Company, ratified February 14, 1885; an Act to incorporate
the Carolina Central Railway Company; December, 1873; and an
Act to perfect the organization of the Carolina Central Railroad
Company, ratified January 18, 1881.
Carolina Central Railroad Company, from Wilmington, NC, to Rutherfordton, NC, 264.60 miles.
Wilmington Railway Bridge Company, from Wilmington, NC, to Meare's Bluff, NC, 2.40 miles.
Towns on Route:
Mears Bluff (1880s)
Cronly (1883) > Acme (1911) > Riegelwood (1963)
Marlsville > Marlville (1882) > East Arcadia (1900)
Bristol > Council Station (1878) > Council (1903)
Jarvis (1879) > Perryville (1890) > Southwood (1898)
Vicksburg (1873) > Elkinsville (1874) > Elkton (1888)
Middle Swamp (1876-1884)
Yorkville > Richardson (1889)
Moss Neck (1875-1905)
Alma (1879) > Daystrom (1942) > Alma (1951)
Shoe Heel > Maxton (1886)
Laurinburgh > Laurinburg (1893)
Sand Hill (faded 1876)
Entwistle (1913) > East Rockingham (1924)
Lanesboro > Peachland (1888)
Beaver Dam > Marshville (1895)
Ames (1880) > Wingate (1896)
Sandifer (1885) > Paw Creek #2 (1909)
Chadwick Station (1900s)
Paw Creek (1875-1899)
Woodlawn > Mount Holly (1888)
Stanleys Creek > Stanley (1894)
Buffalo Paper Mill
Lattimore (1886) > Delight (1887) > Lattimore (1888)
Burnt Chimney > Forest City (1882)