North Carolina Railroads - Cheraw & Salisbury Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

C&S RR

unknown

<1870

1892*

Cheraw, SC

Wadesboro, NC
This line was abandoned in 1970s.
*1892 acquired by Cheraw & Darlington Railroad.

The Anson County, North Carolina town of McFarlan was named for Allan McFarland, president of the Cheraw & Salisbury Railroad. The town was incorporated in 1885. The 1900 Census dropped the 'd'.

The Cheraw & Darlington Railroad was chartered in 1849 and opened in 1853, running from Florence north via Darlington to Cheraw in South Carolina. The Cheraw & Darlington Railroad acquired the Cheraw & Salisbury Railroad, an extension north to Wadesboro, North Carolina, in 1892.

This railroad was perhaps first known as the Cheraw & Coal Fields Railroad - nothing else known about this name except that it shows up in many lists as a precursor to the Cheraw & Salisbury Railroad.

Towns on Route (in NC):

Wadesboro

Paris (1869)

Morven

Sneedsborough (1874) > McFarlan (1883)

NC/SC State Line



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved