North Carolina Railroads - Richmond & Danville Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

R&D RR

1847

1871 in NC

1894*

-

-


*1894 merged with the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia Railroad to form Southern Railway.

In 1886, part of the Richmond & Danville Railroad merged with the Western North Carolina Railroad to form the East Tennessee, Virginia & Carolina Railroad, which was ultimately merged into Southern Railway in 1894 along with the remaining portion of the Richmond & Danville Railroad.

Owned/leased the following railroads associated with North Carolina:

- Northeastern Railroad (1856 - SC only, never made it to NC).

- Atlanta & Richmond Air Line Railway (1870).

- North Carolina Railroad (1871).

- North-Western North Carolina Railroad (1871) - completed this line in 1873.

- Atlanta & Charlotte Air Line Railway (1877).

- Charlotte, Columbia & Augusta Railroad (1878).

- Asheville & Spartanburg Railroad (1881). Managed and operated the line until it was merged into Southern Railway in 1900.

- Oxford & Henderson Railroad (1888).

- Yadkin Railroad (1891) - Sold off as independent line in 1916.

- 1894, the Richmond & Danville Railroad built a line from North Wilkesboro to Mocksville, which was extended soon thereafter to link with an existing line at Mooresville (the Charlotte-Statesville line). This line was most-likely the result of the R&D acquisition of the North-Western North Carolina Railroad in 1873, which the NC Legislature approved the line to Wilkesboro, but the company could not afford to complete. This line was extended to Bethania in 1888 and on to meet the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railway at Rural Hall in 1889. It appears that the line from North Wilkesboro to Mocksville was completed around 1892-1894, and the extension to Mooresville appears to have been completed around 1898-1900. See below for towns on this route.


The Richmond & Danville Railroad, chartered in Virginia in 1847, opened a 140-mile rail line between the two cities of its name in 1856. A 48-mile extension from Danville to Greensboro, NC, was completed during the Civil War - known at that time as the Piedmont Railroad.

After the war, the R&D came into the possession of the Southern Railway Security Company, a holding company created to extend the interests the Pennsylvania Railroad into the South. Organized in 1871, it was controlled by, among others, Tom Scott of the Pennsylvania, William T. Walters and B.F. Newcomer of Baltimore, James Roosevelt of New York, and Henry Bradley Plant of the Southern Express Company.

In 1872, the R&D extended aid to the Atlanta and Richmond Air Line Railway to help it complete its road between Charlotte and Atlanta. The line was to become a key link in the "Piedmont Air Line,” a system of railroads across the southeast.

By the mid-1870s, the Southern Railroad Security Company and the Pennsylvania Railroad had gained control of over 2,000 miles of railroad including the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia, the Western & Atlantic, the Memphis & Charleston, the Wilmington & Weldon, and the Charlotte, Columbia & Augusta. Profits were minor, however, due largely to the ruined condition of the southern post-war economy. During the latter half of the decade the group sold off its southern holdings and the Pennsylvania turned its attention to the west. In 1880, the Pennsylvania sold the R&D to the new Clyde Syndicate.

In 1877, the R&D leased the Atlanta & Charlotte Air Line Railway.

In 1880, the Richmond and West Point Terminal Railway and Warehouse Company was chartered to acquire railroads which the R&D could not acquire directly due to a limitation in its charter. The Terminal Company quickly purchased over 700 miles of existing railroads and acquired the franchises for a number of projected lines including the Georgia Pacific Railway and the Rabun Gap Short Line Railway.

The Richmond & Danville bought the Lawrenceville-to-Suwanee line from the Lawrenceville Branch Railroad in 1885. This line was sold to the Atlanta & Charlotte Air Line Railway in 1908. It was abandoned in 1920.

The Richmond & Danville leased the 61-mile Northeastern Railroad of Georgia in 1886.

In 1887, the Terminal Company gained control of the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad.

In 1888, the Terminal Company purchased the entire capital stock of the Georgia Company, which had been organized the previous year to acquire a controlling interest in the capital stock of the Central Railroad and Banking Company.

In 1889, the 566-mile Georgia Pacific Railway was completed and began operation from Atlanta to Greenville, Mississippi. It had been leased to the Richmond & Danville in January of that year.

In 1890, the Terminal Company acquired a controlling interest in the Alabama Great Southern Railroad.

The R&D grew to encompass some 3,300 miles of railroad by 1890, but its financial standing became shaky soon afterwards. In 1892, the R&D and the Terminal Company entered receivership. After reorganization by J.P. Morgan, the railroad emerged in 1894 as the Southern Railway Company.


Towns on Route:

Line #1 - Salem to Salem Junction (acquired/built 1873):

Salem > Winston-Salem (1899)

Kernersville

Colfax (1879)

Friendship

Guilford (1888) > Battle Ground (1888)

Salem Junction (1883) > Pomona (1896)

Line #2 - North Wilkesboro to Mooresville:

North Wilkesboro (1891)

Bowles (1888)

Roaring River

Ronda

Elkin

Rusk

Crutchfield (1890)

Rockford

Siloam

Shoals (1891)

Donnoha (1889)

Tobaccoville

Rural Hall

Jolliet (1891) > Oldtown (1899)

Jolliet #2 (1900-1907)

Winston > Winston-Salem (1899)

Salem > Winston-Salem (1899)

Bower (1894) > Clemmons (1904)

Advance

Cornatzer (1892)

Mocksville

Wells (1899-1900)

Barber (1900)

Bear Poplar

Rowan (1889) > Mount Ulla (1899)

Mooresville



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved