North Carolina Railroads - Transylvania Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

TRR

1899

1899

1906*

Hendersonville, NC

Brevard, NC


*1906 acquired by Southern Railway.

Was the Hendersonville & Brevard Railroad.

1899 acquired by J.F. Hayes at auction, and the line was controlled by the Toxaway Company. Sale included 22 miles of track, all bridges, trestles, and building, two locomotives, one first-class car, one combination car, three boxcars, one flatcar, and two handcars.

Hayes was elected president of the company and promptly directed the extension of the existing line to the town of Toxaway (renamed Rosman in 1904) in 1900. By 1903, the line was pushed to its ultimate end point of the town of Lake Toxaway. Hayes wanted to keep going to Seneca, South Carolina, but things did not work out long enough for that to happen.

Transylvania County was on the map thanks to the little railroad, and many famous people came to vacation there as a result. By 1906, however, the clientele had simply moved on to new vacation spots with more luxurious inns, and the Toxaway Company was quickly dissolved. The Transylvania Railroad was sold to Southern Railway, which already had a route to Seneca, so Hayes's dream went with it.

After Southern Railway acquired the line, most of these additions were cut back to the original line.


Towns on Route:

Hendersonville

Yale

Horse Shoe

Etowah

Irvin > Blantyre (1901)

Penrose

Davidsons River > Pisgah Forest (1906)

Davidsons River #2 (1908)

Brevard

Line Extended After Becoming Transylvania RR:

Selica (1901)

Cherryfield

Jeptha

Calvert #2 (1901)

Toxaway (1900) > Eastatoe (1903) > Toxaway #2 (1903) > Rosman (1904)

Tiptop > Quebec (1904)

Lake Toxaway (1903)



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved