Charles Town District, South Carolina
         
   

   

Years in Existence

1st District Seat

2nd District Seat

1768 - 1800

Charles Town

None

Click Here-To see how the Charleston District evolved from 1768 to 1800-includes all the known towns and villages.

A History of the Charles Town District

In 1768, South Carolina eliminated all of the original counties and established seven new "Districts," with governmental seats in each district. From 1768 to 1785, these districts remained intact, however, the district seats did change some during that time-frame. After the American Revolution in 1785, South Carolina re-established the concept of counties and thirty-four (34) "new" counties were defined and established. Each of these new counties were "subsets" of, and subordinate to, the "overarching Districts" that had been in existence since 1768. Some of the newly-defined counties were abolished between 1785 and 1800, whereas other newly-defined counties were created during that period.

The 1785 County Court Act created six "subordinate" counties within the "overarching" Charleston District - Bartholomew County (totally new), Berkeley County (a new incarnation with new boundaries), Colleton County (a new incarnation with new boundaries), Charleston County (totally new), Marion County (totally new - and not to be confused with the later county along the Pee Dee River that was created n 1798), and Washington County (totally new). All six of these "new counties" did not take root with the local citizenship, who were apparently quite comfortable doing their governmental business in Charleston, and these six "new counties" were abolished in 1791. Some were again resurrected by the Legislature in 1800, but with totally new boundaries and descriptions just nine years later.

In 1800, South Carolina abolished all "overarching Districts" and essentially went with the county concept from that year forward. However, in 1800, all counties were now called "districts" and would continue being called districts until after the US Civil War. In 1868, South Carolina reverted back to the term "county" and this term has been used continuously since then.


The boundaries of the original Charles Town District remained the same from inception in 1768 to its elimination in 1800. Af the end of the American Revolution in 1783, Charles Town was officially renamed to Charleston, and therefore the district name was alson changed from Charles Town District to Charleston District.

The first United States Census was taken in 1790 and each of the original seven Districts were enumerated within that census. By the 1800 US Census, all of the original seven Districts had been abolished and new counties (called districts at that time) were enumerated separately in that census. However, in 1800, what once was the Charleston District now had become only two new counties - Charleston County (district until 1868) and Colleton County (district until 1868) - therefore, to compare population changes from 1790 to 1800 would not be too difficult.


 


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved