Ninety-Six District, South Carolina
         
   

   

Years in Existence

1st District Seat

2nd District Seat

1768 - 1800

Ninety-Six

Cambridge
 

Significant Towns Established 1768 - 1800 

Abbeville

Edgefield

Laurens

Newberry

Pinckneyville

Spartanburg

Pleasantburg 

Union

Anderson

Click Here - To see how the Ninety-Six District evolved 1768 to 1800 - includes all the known towns and villages.

A History of the Ninety-Six District

In 1768, South Carolina eliminated all of the original counties and established seven new "Districts," with governmental seats in each district. From 1768 to 1785, these districts remained intact, however, the district seats did change some during that time-frame. After the American Revolution in 1785, South Carolina re-established the concept of counties and thirty-three (33) "new" counties were defined and established. Each of these new counties were "subsets" of, and subordinate to, the "overarching Districts" that had been in existence since 1768. Some of the newly-defined counties were abolished between 1785 and 1800, whereas other newly-defined counties were created during that period.

In 1785, six newly-defined "counties" were created wholly within the existing Ninety-Six District - Abbeville, Edgefield, Laurens, Newberry, Spartan, and Union - but, the overarching Ninety-Six District remained intact. When the town of Ninety-Six was burned by the British in 1781, the district seat was changed to Cambridge, which was essentially a new town where Ninety-Six had been. In 1786, Greenville was added to the Ninety-Six District. In 1789, Pendleton was added to Ninety-Six District. In 1791, these two were removed from Ninety-Six District and became part of the newly-created Washington District.

In 1800, South Carolina abolished all "overarching Districts" and essentially went with the county concept from that year forward. However, in 1800, all counties were now called "districts" and would continue being called districts until after the US Civil War. In 1868, South Carolina reverted back to the term "county" and this term has been used continuously since then.


The boundaries of the original Ninety-Six District remained essentially the same from inception in 1768 until 1791, when the new Pinckney District was carved out of the Ninety-Six District and the Camden District and when the Washington District was created.

The first United States Census was taken in 1790 and each of the original seven Districts were enumerated within that census. By the 1800 US Census, all of the original seven Districts had been abolished and new counties (called districts at that time) were enumerated separately in that census.


If one were to attempt to determine which of the current South Carolina counties are actually situated within the original overarching Ninety-Six District as it existed between 1768 and 1791, the best guess would have to include: all of Edgefield, Saluda, McCormick, Abbeville, Greenwood, Laurens, Union, and Spartanburg counties, most of Newberry and Cherokee counties, Greenville County, Pickens, Oconee, and Anderson Counties.

 


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved