South Carolina Education - Barnwell County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1800

Barnwell County

Barnwell
 
On December 18, 1818, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of The Republican Circulating Library Society of Barnwell District, with assets authorized up to $5,000.
On December 21, 1822, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Barnwell Female Academy, with assets up to $10,000 and charter authorized for fourteeen (14) years (Section X). Also on December 21, 1822, the South Carolina General Assembly passed another Act to vest all escheated property within the Barnwell District in the Barnwell Female Academy, up to $10,000 in value.
On December 20, 1823, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Boiling Springs Academical Society in the Barnwell District, with assets of $10,000 authorized (Section IV).

Boiling Springs Academy was founded by the Boiling Springs Academical Society in 1823, with trustees Hansford Duncan, John Fowke, James Furse, William Gillette, Gideon Hagood, Frederick Hay, Lawrence Hext, James Higginbottom, Jennings O'Bannon, and Angus Patterson. The academy building, along with its records, was burned by Federal troops in February 1865.

The academy was reopened, and the present one-room school building constructed, in 1908, largely through the efforts of Boiling Springs teacher Olive Hay. Students from grades one through seven attended the academy until it closed in 1947. The academy, which was purchased by Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church in 1969, now serves as a community center.

On December 19, 1833, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Blackville Academy in the Barnwell District, named four (4) trustees, and authorized assets up to $10,000 (Section XI).
On December 21, 1836, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Barnwell Female Academy, and authorized assets up to $10,000. The charter was good for fourteen (14) years.
On December 17, 1847, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Healing Springs School Association in the Barnwell District for a period of fourteen (14) years.
On December 21, 1858, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Williston Academy in the Barnwell District, and authorized assets up to $20,000 (Section I & III).
Also on December 21, 1858, the South Carolina General Assembly passed another Act, which included the authorization of four (4) additional Commissioners of Free Schools for the Barnwell District, increasing the number from seven (7) to eleven (11) commissioners (Section III).

On December 21, 1861, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Aiken Public School in the town of Aiken within the Barnwell District, named ten (10) trustees, and authorized assets up to $20,000 (Section II).

[When created, this school was in Barnwell District. In 1871, this school would be in Aiken County.]

This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon expanded to this two-block site and combined academics with instruction in industrial, farming, and homemaking skills. The 1897 Schofield School bulletin declared, "Character building is our most important work."

Schofield School educated more than 6000 students by 1898. Many graduates became teachers and department heads here; others became successful business owners, professionals, farmers, and community leaders. In 1940 alumnus Sanford P. Bradby became its first African-American superintendent. As first a private and later a public school, Schofield has taught children of all races and creeds since 1866. The bell tower nearby once stood atop Carter Hall, built in 1882.

[Note - when first opened, the Schofield School was located in Barnwell County. In 1871, it was in Aiken County. The marker above is located in Aiken County]

On December 24, 1883, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Bamberg in Barnwell County, and authorized voters to decided upon an additional special school tax not to exceed three (3) mills on real and personal property.

[Note - the town of Bamberg and its school district was in Bamberg County in 1897.]

On February 1, 1886, the Clerk of Court in Barnwell County incorporated the Allendale High School, named nine (9) incorporators, and registered $2,500 in capital stock.

[Note - in 1886, the town of Allendale was in Barnwell County. In 1919, the town of Allendale was the county seat of the new Allendale County.]

On December 23, 1886, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Barnwell in Barnwell County, named eight (8) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property. The new school district is to be named the Barnwell Graded School District. On December 24, 1887, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/23/1886, by deleting all reference to a liquor tax, and to increase the special tax to four (4) mills. On December 17, 1894, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Acts of 12/23/1886 and 12/24/1887, by requiring all payments of school district funds to be made with a warrant to be countersigned by the Chairman and by one of the members of said Board elected by said Board.

On December 23, 1886, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Allendale in Barnwell County, named six (6) trustees, and authorized the voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property.

[Note - in 1886, the town of Allendale was in Barnwell County. In 1919, the town of Allendale was the county seat of the new Allendale County.]

On December 24, 1888, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in Barnwell County, to be known as the Williston Graded School District, named seven (7) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two and a half (2-1/2) mills on real and personal property. On December 24, 1890, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/24/1888, by redefining the boundaries of the Williston Graded School District. On March 2, 1897, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/24/1888, by redefining the election of trustees
On December 24, 1889, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the Town Council of Williston, in Barnwell County, to issue bonds up to $3,000 for the purpose of erecting a public school building in said town. Voters must approve.
On November 26, 1890, the Barnwell County Clerk of Court issued a Charter for the incorporation of the Grahams Male and Female Institute in the town of Grahams (to be renamed to Denmark in 1892), in Barnwell County, named seven (7) incorporators, and identified $2,000 in capital stock.
On December 23, 1890, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a special school district in Barnwell County, to be known as the Blackville Graded School District, named nine (9) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property.
On December 22, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district lying in both Aiken County and Barnwell County, to be known as the Edisto River School District, named five (5) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property. On February 17, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/22/.1891, by requiring the election of five (5) trustees to hold office for two years, then new elections.
On December 23, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in Barnwell County, to be known as the Elko School District, named nine (9) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed five (5) mills on real and personal property.
Also on December 23, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed another Act to incorporate the Barnwell Baptist Male and Female Institute at or near the town of Elko, in Barnwell County. The Act also named twelve (12) trustees and authorized assets up to $200,000.

SC Methodists began an institution on this site in 1892 naming it Carlisle Fitting School, for James H. Carlisle, president of Wofford College 1875-1902. It served as a coeducational preparatory institution for Wofford. Col. James F. Risher (1889-1973) leased Carlisle in 1932 and purchased it 1938, renaming it Carlisle Military School by 1943. It educated young men from the US and many countries until closing in 1977.

[Note - When it began, Carlisle Fitting School was in Barnwell County. In 1897, it was in Bamberg County. The marker above is in Bamberg County.]

On December 24, 1892, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the Town Council of Williston, in Barnwell County, to appropriate from the funds of said town such sum as they may deem expedient to the support and maintenance of the Williston Graded School.
On August 7, 1895, the Barnwell County Clerk of Court recorded the charter for the South Carolina Coeducation Institute in the town of Williston and identified $5,000 in capital stock.
On March 5, 1897, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to regulate the election of trustees in special school districts in Barnwell County, in which special Acts required the trustees to be appointed by the State Superintendent of Education. This Act requires all trustees to be elected by the people living in their school districts.
On February 16, 1898, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a Joint Resolution to authorize the Barnwell County Board of Commissioners to transfer and convey a certain school lot within the town of Barnwell to the Board of Trustees of the Barnwell Graded School District for the benefit of a colored school in said town.
On February 17, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the town of Barnwell Graded School District to issue bonds up to $5,000 for the purpose of purchasing grounds and buildings, and erecting, furnishing and equipping public school buildings therein, to be located in the town of Barnwell. The Act also authorized a special tax to pay interest on said bonds, amount as needed each year.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved