South Carolina Education - Dorchester County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1897

Dorchester County

St. George
 
On March 24, 1724, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize a free school to be built in the town of Dorchester. The text of this Act has been lost to history, but based on the Act of 1734 below, it appears that the original trustees did not make it happen. If it did happen, the school would have been in what at that time was Berkeley County.
On April 9, 1734, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to re-authorize the building and management of a free school in the town of Dorchester. It appears that this time the school was actually built. The school was built in what at that time was Berkeley County.

On December 26, 1885, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Georges [most likely St. George's] in Colleton County, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property.

[When this Act was passed, the town of St. George's was in Colleton County. In 1897, the town of St. George was now the county seat of the new Dorchester County.]

On December 16, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in Colleton County, to be known as the Ridgeville School District, named five (5) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property.

[When this Act was passed, the town of Ridgeville was in Colleton County. In 1897, the town of Ridgeville was then in Dorchester County.]

 
 
 
 

Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. The two-story wood frame school, which was designed by architects Burden and Walker of Charleston and built by N.A. Lee, was moved to Bryan Street in 1953.

Alston High School, located on Bryan Street from 1953 to 1970, included grades 1-12. A new one-story brick school built on the new site in 1953 was constructed for about $200,000. It closed in 1970 after the desegregation of county schools. The present Alston Middle School, on Bryan Street, includes grades 6-8.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved