South Carolina Education - Georgetown County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1800

Georgetown County

Georgetown
 

Springing from the fervor for indigo, the colony’s vital new crop for making blue dye, the Winyah Indigo Society was begun in 1755 and incorporated 1757 to ensure stronger financial support for the free school which it had founded. Thomas Lynch was then president of the society, which also maintained a library and served as an intellectual center. The 1857 building here was used by Union forces during the Civil War.

On May 21, 1757, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Winyaw Indico Society. This organization, which was launched in 1755, was authorized to build and manage a free school in the town of Georgetown within Prince George's, Winyaw Parish.
On December 19, 1795, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included a provision for all escheated property with Prince George's, Winyaw Parish and All Saints Parish to be given to the Winyaw Indigo Society.
On December 20, 1800, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Georgetown Library Society. This organization was authorized to accept charitable donations to benefit all citizens of Georgetown and vicinity.
On December 20, 1825, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which authorized the Winyaw Indigo Society to bind out to any trade or occupation, such pupil or pupils on the bounty of that institution, as they may deem expedient and proper (Section XXII).
On December 21, 1839, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the All Saints Academy, named three (3) trustees, and authorized assets up to $60,000 (Section XXVII).
On December 18, 1844, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the All Saints School Society for the term of fourteen (14) years, with assets up to $5,000 authorized (Sections X and XI).
On December 17, 1847, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which amended the number of trustees needed for a quorum in the Winyaw Indigo Society.
On December 16, 1852, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the renewal of the charter for the All Saints Academy in the Georgetown District for an unspecified length of time (Section V).
On January 28, 1861, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the renewal of the charter of the All Saints School Society for an additional fourteen (14) years (Section III).

After purchasing this land January 1, 1866, Georgetown Colored Academy built a school here. By 1908 the old building ad been torn down and a new school built, its name changed to Howard. The elementary department moved into a new structure on Kaminski Street in 1938; the high school followed in 1949. After the 1984 graduation, predominantly black Howard merged with mostly white Winyah School to form Georgetown High School.

On December 23, 1879, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which repealed part of an earlier Act prohibiting the sale of spirituous liquors within one mile of a school house or college - this Act repealed the prohibition in Georgetown County and in Richland County.
On December 24, 1885, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Georgetown in Georgetown County, to be known as the Winyah Indigo School District, specified three usual trustees plus four trustees from the Winyah Indigo Society, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property. On December 24, 1887, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/24/1885, by clarifying school funds appropriations and disbursements. On February 19, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Acts of 12/24/1885 and 12/24/1887, by requiring four (4) trustees to be appointed by the State Superintendent of Education and four (4) trustees to be appointed by the Winyah Indigo Society.

Winyah Indigo School District was created in 1885 to maintain public education in Georgetown. In 1887, the district assumed the existing school owned by the Winyah Indigo Society, established in 1755. Completed in 1908 was a building housing grades 1-10, which still stands. Winyah High, built here in 1938, was integrated 1970. It burned in 1981. The new high school of 1985 became Georgetown High when Winyah and Howard consolidated.

On December 24, 1886, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to direct the County Board of Examiners of Georgetown County to close the public schools of said county during the scholastic year 1886-7 due to lack of funding. They are to take proceeds of 1886-7 and apply them to the next school year to ensure full funding and payment of all debts.
On December 20, 1888, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to appoint a commission to to investigate the past school indebtedness of said County, and authorized the levy and collection of an additional special tax not to exceed three-fourths (3/4) of a mill on real and personal property - to be used for public school funding only. On December 23, 1889, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/20/1888, by authorizing that claims may be paid even if they exceed funds appropriated. This shall not be the case later.
 
 


Winyah Indigo Society School - c.1915
 
 
 
 
 

Pleasant Hill Consolidated School opened in 1938 as an elementary and high school. It also included a cannery and a home economics/farm-shop building. Pleasant Hill housed a middle and high school 1970–1985 and closed in 2000 as Pleasant Hill Middle School. An excellent example of New Deal-era school architecture, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved