South Carolina Education - Greenwood County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1897

Greenwood County

Greenwood
 

On March 16, 1778, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Salem Society. This organization was authorized to build and manage a school in the Ninety-Six District near the Little River Meeting House. This school was built at what became the town of Cambridge, was taught by Rev. John Springer, and seven (7) years later became Cambridge College.

[In 1785, this school was in the new Abbeville County. By the time that Greenwood County was created out of Abbeville County, this school was long gone.]

On March 19, 1785, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish three colleges, including one in the Ninety-Six District at the new town of Cambridge.

[This college was soon to be within Abbeville County. By the time that Greenwood County was created out of Abbeville County, Cambridge College was long gone.]

On February 27, 1788, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Friendly Cambridge Society. This organization was authorized to promote the prosperity of Cambridge College.

[This college was then in Abbeville County. By the time that Greenwood County was created out of Abbeville Coounty, Cambridge College was long gone.]

On December 21, 1792, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the trustees of Cambridge College to establish a lottery to help raise money for the college.

[This college was then in Abbeville County. By the time that Greenwood County was created out of Abbeville Coounty, Cambridge College was long gone.]

TABERNACLE CEMETERY - 1000 feet east is Tabernacle Cemetery on the site of Tabernacle Methodist Church and Tabernacle Academy. Buried Here are Generals M.W. Gary and N.G. Evans and other Confederate veterans. From Tabernacle Academy organized in 1820 by Stephen Olin developed Mount Ariel and Cokesbury Conference School.

[When established, the Tabernacle Academy was in the Abbeville District. It was moved and renamed Mount Ariel, which was later renamed Cokesbury. In 1897, the town of Cokesbury was then in Greenwood County. The cemetery retained its original name - Tabernacle Cemetery.]

On December 19, 1835, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Cokesbury School in the Abbveville District, named eleven (11) trustees, and authorized assets up to $50,000. The school was chartered for twenty-one (21) years.

[When incorporated, the Cokesbury School was in the Abbeville District. In 1897, the school was then in Greenwood County.]

Allen University, chartered in 1880, was founded by the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church. It had its origin in Payne Institute, founded in 1870 in Cokesbury, in Greenwood County. In 1880 the S.C. Conference of the A.M.E. Church voted to move Payne Institute to Columbia. It opened in Columbia in 1881 and was renamed in honor of Bishop Richard Allen (1760-1831), founder of the A.M.E. Church. The first university building on this site was in use by 1888.

Allen University, founded to educate ministers for the A.M.E. Church, also had primary and secondary courses, and college-level liberal-arts courses. It also offered courses in the arts and had one of the few black law schools in the South before 1900. Its primary and secondary programs ended in the 1920s and 1930s. Allen was also a significant center for civil rights activities in Columbia from the 1930s through the 1960s.

[Note - The Payne Institute only existed in Abbeville County. If it had survived to today, it would have been in Greenwood Coounty. The marker above is in Columbia, SC.]

On December 16, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize voters within the town of Greenwood School District to decide upon issuing bonds, up to $8,000, for the purpose of paying for school property and building one or more public school buildings in the town of Greenwood. May also levy and collect an additional special school tax to pay the interest on said bonds. On December 24, 1892, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the 12/16/1781 Act, by adding a Section 6 - that the County Auditor and the County Treasurer shall each receive as compensation for the discharge of the duties prescribed in Section 4 of this Act two per cent, of the amount collected by virtue of said Act. On February 11, 1898, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/16/1891, by removing all reference to Abbeville County and replacing it with Greenwood County.

[When the early Acts were passed, the town of Greenwood was in Abbeville County. In 1897, it was the county seat of the new Greenwood County.]

On February 12, 1898, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a Joint Resolution to require the Edgefield County Treasurer to pay over to the County Treasurers of Greenwood County and Saluda County certain public school funds, and for those funds to be apportioned to the appropriate school districts in Greenwood County and Saluda County.
On February 28, 1899, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act which created Greenwood County out of part of Edgefield County, by allocating the portion of Liberty Hill School District heretofore created, and now composed of territory from Edgefield and Greenwood Counties, lying and situate within the boundaries of Greenwood County, be added to and included within the boundaries of School District No. 30 of Yeldell Township, and form a part of said township.
 
 
 
 

This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of the founder, who died July 14, 1904. From an humble beginning there arose here a Christian institution of expanding influence, keeping faith with its motto: Puritas et Scientia.

[Note - In 1904, this college was moved to Greenwood County and became Lander College. The marker above is in Anderson County.]

 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved