South Carolina Education - Hampton County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1878

Hampton County

Hampton
 

In old Lawtonville Community, across from this site, was the first Morrison Academy. a one-room elementary and college preparatory school. It was later moved 3.4 miles north of here on Orangeburg Road to be near the home of Rev. John Timothy Morrison, headmaster from 1865-1905, minister, legislator, Lt. C.S.A.

[Note - When first opened, the Morrison Academy was in Beaufort County. In 1878, it was in Hampton County.]

On February 4, 1882, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Varnville in Hampton County, and authorized the voters to decide upon a special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property.
On December 24, 1887, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in Hampton County, to be known as the Brunson Graded School District in the town of Brunson, named eleven (11) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed two (2) mills on real and personal property. On December 24, 1892, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/24/1887, by increasing the special school tax from two (2) mills to five (5) mills on real and personal property.
On December 24, 1892, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Savannah River Association Academy, at or near the town of Varnville, in Hampton County, named thirteen (13) trustees, and authorized assets up to $50,000.
 
 
 
 

Constructed for black students,this elementary school was built shortly after Hampton County School District purchased the land in the late 1920s. Two of the school's alumni of the 1930's and 1940s, brothers James F. and Julius C. Fields achieved national stature as actors, dancers, and choreographers in stage, television, and motion picture productions.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved