This school, built in 1927 and rebuilt in 1931, was one of
many constructed in the late 1920s, as small rural one- or two-room
schools were consolidated into elementary or high schools in
towns and cities. Built on land donated by Robert L. Robinson,
it included grades 1-11 until grade 12 was added in 1948-49.
This school, designed by Columbia architect James Hagood Sams
(1872- 1935), was burned by an arsonist in 1929. It was rebuilt
according to Sams's plans in 1931, at a cost of $14,000. The
Grays Consolidated High School closed in the early 1970s. It
was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.