South Carolina Education - Lancaster County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1785

Lancaster County

Lancaster
 
On December 21, 1799, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included provisions for all escheated property in Lancaster County to be given for the purpose of endowing a school in Lancaster County.

FRANKLIN ACADEMY

Organized in 1825, was the most widely-known of the four schools that occupied this site. Henry Connelly was its first principal. J. Marion Sims who later achieved world fame as a surgeon was one of its pupils. The building of brick was said by Robert Mills to be a fine structure, two stories high.

OLDEST CONTINUOUS PUBLIC SCHOOL SITE IN LANCASTER COUNTY

This land has been dedicated to the cause of education since 1799 when Rev. John Brown, Dr. Samuel C. Dunlap, Wm. Nisbet, John Ingram, and John Montgomery were named trustees for a school, known in 1802 as Lancaster Academy. It grew into Franklin Academy, 1825, the Graded School, 1893, and Central School, 1915.

On December 24, 1889, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a special school district in the town of Kershaw, in Lancaster County, with two (2) trustees to be appointed from Lancaster County and one (1) trustee to be appointed from Kershaw County, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed three (3) mills on real and personal property. On February 17, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the Act of 12/24/1889; reason for the repeal not provided in the Act.
On December 23, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish a new special school district in the town of Lancaster, in Lancaster County, named five (5) trustees, and authorized voters to decide upon an additional special school tax not to exceed five (5) mills on real and personal property.
 
 
 
 
 
 

This building, originally just south of Kershaw on what is now U.S. Hwy. 521, was built in 1900 for Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) as the office for J.V. Welsh & Sons, a lumber mill. It later housed Kershaw’s first circulating library, founded by the McDowell Music Club, from its creation in 1934 until a new library was built in 1949. The building, moved to this site in 2001, serves as the office for the Stevens Foundation.

Located on this site, Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute for black students was incorporated in 1905; M. D. Lee was president and J. G. McIlwain chairman of the board. By 1912, the school was offering both elementary and advanced education to a number of students, many of whom trained for industrial employment or as teachers.

This school, incorporated in 1905, was operated by the General Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. By 1908 the campus included the Springs Industrial Building, named in honor of Colonel Leroy Springs (a benefactor of the institute), and the Clinton Young Men's Building, named for African Methodist Episcopal Zion Bishop I. C. Clinton.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved