South Carolina Education - Pickens County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1826

Pickens County

Pickens
 
On December 26, 1885, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a Joint Resolution to authorize the Trustees of Central Academy to sell one acre of land in the town of Central, South Carolina to a new corporation known as the Central Educational Joint Stock Company for school purposes.
On July 10, 1886, the Clerk of Court in Pickens County incorporated the Educational Joint Stock Company of Central in the town of Central within Pickens County, named eight (8) officers, and registered $3,000 in capital stock.
On December 24, 1891, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a Joint Resolution to require the Pickens County School Commissioners to apportion the school fund according to the average attendance of the first month of the Fiscal Year.
On December 20, 1893, the South Carolina General Assembly passed and Act to authorize the School Commissioners of the various school districts within Pickens County to condemn land, if necessary, to secure appropriate locations for schools for white students in said county. On December 24, 1894, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the Act of 12/20/1893, by removing "for white students" and by clarifying how condemned land is legally transferred from the original owner.
On January 5, 1895, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to provide pupils of the free public schools in Abbeville County, Oconee County, and Pickens County with text books and other school supplies at cost.
On February 19, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act for authorized voters to elect three (3) School Trustees for the town of Easley School District in Pickens County.
 
 
 
 
 

Clemson University was founded in 1889 as the Clemson Agricultural College of S.C., with its origins in the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 creating public land-grant colleges. It was established by a bequest from Thomas Green Clemson (1807-1888), noted scientist, agriculturist, and son-in-law of John C. Calhoun, whose plantation at Fort Hill formed the core of the new college campus.

Clemson, intended to be "a high seminary of learning" to advance scientific agriculture and the mechanical arts, opened in 1893 as a military school and was sometimes improperly known as Clemson A&M College. It became a civilian co-educational institution in 1955, then became Clemson University, reflecting its modern and expanded mission, in 1964.

[Clemson Agricultural College was in Oconee County when first established. In 1959, the man-made Lake Hartwell was completed and Clemson Agricultural College was then ceded to Pickens County.]

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved