South Carolina Education - Saluda County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1895

Saluda County

Saluda
 

On May 23, 1895, the Edgefield County Clerk of Court recorded the charter for the Emery High School in the town of Mount Willing and identified $1,400 in capital stock.

[Note - when first chartered, the school was in Edgefield County. On September 16, 1895, Saluda County was established and the school was now in Saluda County.]

This school, established in 1896 as both a grammar and high school, was built as a 1-room building and was expanded to 3 rooms by 1900. With as many as 4 teachers and well over 100 students in its best years, Delmar School taught over 600 students in its 56-year history. Though the high school (grades 8-10) closed in the mid-1930s the grammar school (grades 1-7) continued to serve the Delmar community until it closed in 1952.

On February 12, 1898, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a Joint Resolution to require the Edgefield County Treasurer to pay over to the County Treasurers of Greenwood County and Saluda County certain public school funds, and for those funds to be apportioned to the appropriate school districts in Greenwood County and Saluda County.
On February 22, 1898, the Saluda County Clerk of Court recorded the charter for the Saluda High School in the town of Saluda, in Saluda County, named six (6) incorporators, and identified $2,500 in capital stock.
On February 17, 1900, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the Board of Trustees of the Saluda School Distict, in the town of Saluda in Saluda County, to purchase a school building or buildings for said school district, and to pledge for three years the constitutional school tax, for said school district, for the payment of same.
 
 
 
 
 

41-7 - FAITH CABIN LIBRARY SITE

Built in 1932 about ½ mi. NE and stocked with donated books, this library was the first of over 110 libraries founded by W.L. Buffington for rural blacks.

This school, built in 1934, replaced the Ridge Hill Rosenwald School, a six-classroom frame school built in 1923-24. That school was funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, building more than 500 African-American schools in S.C. 1917-1932. It burned in 1934, but the new school was built on the same plan, at a cost of about $8000. Grades 1-11 attended this school until grade 12 was added in 1947. Ridge Hill School closed in 1957.

This building has been the Ridge Spring Star Community Center since 1978. The chimney nearby is all that remains of a Faith Cabin Library, part of a program founded in 1932 by Willie Lee Buffington (1908-1988) to help give small-town and rural African-Americans better access to books. The library built here in 1934 was the second Faith Cabin Library in the state. More than 100 were built in S.C. and Ga. from 1932-1960.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved