South Carolina Education - Williamsburg County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1785-1798 (Abolished);
1804 (Re-established)

Williamsburg County

Kingstree
 
On December 19, 1795, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Williamsburgh Academy. Trustees were appointed to manage and build the school, and were also authorized to establish a lottery to help pay for the school.
On December 21, 1799, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included provisions for escheated property within Williamsburg County to be given to the Williamsburgh Academy.
On December 19, 1816, the South Carolina General Assembly passed an Act, which included the incorporation of the Williamsburgh Library Society, with assets authorized up to $10,000.
 
 
 
 
 

Cooper’s Academy, built in 1905-06, was a private boarding school for the black children of this community until 1927, and a public school 1927-1958. Founded by Moses Cooper, H.J. Cooper, and Ada E. Martin, it was first called Cooper’s Academy, Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Youth. The school closed in 1958 when black schools at Battery Park and Cades were consolidated.

Bethesda Methodist Church, founded in 1879, was organized in a brush arbor. Its first permanent church, a one-room sanctuary built about 1884, stood 1/4 mi. W. The congregation bought a two-acre site here in 1893, and soon built a one-room frame church. The church was rebuilt in 1971, during the pastorate of Rev. J.B. Bowen.

 
 
 
 
 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved