The South Carolina General Assembly

The first South Carolina State Constitution of 1776 called for a Legislative Branch comprised of the House of Representatives and a Legislative Council to be elected by members of the House of Representatives. Those voted into the Legislative Council were to give up their seats and new elections held to replace them in the House of Representatives.

Since most of the state's population continued to live nearer the coast than in the upcountry and backcountry, the Constitution called for more "election districts" in the lowcountry, with an emphasis on the Charlestown District. The seven judicial districts created in 1769 were retained for descriptive purposes (among other reasons), but they were not emphasized as "election districts."

Interestingly, although the Patriots were becoming more "anti-British" they did not get rid of the long-standing Parishes of the Anglican Church. As shown above, the designated election districts were a strange combination of newly-defined districts in the backcountry with the existing parishes that were firmly embraced across much of the state. Even more interesting, South Carolina continued this strange mixture of the old and the new all the way to the Civil War.

 

 Map #2 >>



© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved