The American Revolution in South Carolina


May 6, 1780 - Lenud's Ferry

December 1780 - Kingstree

August 7, 1780 - Kingstree

December 29, 1780 - Kingstree

August 20, 1780 - Benbow's Ferry

March 1781 - Witherspoon's Plantation

August 27, 1780 - Kingstree

March 15 1781 - Blakely's Plantation

September 15, 1780 - Indiantown Church

March 8, 1781 - Mount Hope Swamp

September 15, 1780 - McGill's Plantation 

March 14, 1781 - Black River Bridge

September 28-29, 1780 - Black Mingo
 


The British commander at Charlestown, Lt. Col. Nisbet Balfour, sent Major Robert McLeroth and his 64th Regiment of Foot from Charlestown to Kingstree in early November of 1780. He had with him 300 British regulars and 300 mounted Provincials and two cannons.

Major McLeroth abandoned Kingstree on November 22 and marched towards Murry's Ferry on the Santee River. He then returned to Kingstree on December 6th.

Major McLeroth was replaced by Lt. Col. John Watson Tadwell-Watson, who constructed Fort Watson on Wright's Bluff in what is present-day Clarendon County.

After the fall of Charlestown in May of 1780, Major John James returned to Williamsburg County and began raising Patriot sentiments in and around Kingstree. Four new companies of Militia were quickly established and assembled in Kingstree, under the following captains: Henry Mouzon - King's Tree Company; John McCauley - South Black River Company; John James, Jr. - Lynch's Lake Company; and, Robert McCottry - Cedar Swamp/Black Mingo Company. A battalion of 300 men was created and they elected John James as Major. This new battalion became the nucleus of Col. Francis Marion's new Brigade in late 1780.



© 2014 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved