During most of the colonial period, South Carolina had only
a single court which met in Charles Town. By the 1760s, due to
expansion of settlement, Charles Town became too far away for
the majority of the population, which now resided in the backcountry.
In 1768, largely as a result of the Regulator Movement, the Circuit
Court Act was passed by the SC Legislature.
The act took effect in 1769; seven circuit court districts
were established and courthouses were set up for each district.
In Ninety-Six District the courthouse was established in the
village of Ninety-Six. The map below shows the seven district
court boundaries; these district courts continued to function
into the post-Revolutionary War period. During the period of
1769-1776, the northwestern corner of South Carolina was still
a part of the Cherokee Nation. However, after a brief war fought
during 1776, this area was ceded to the state of South Carolina
by a treaty signed with the Cherokees in 1777.