A History of Belleville, South Carolina

Found on a few maps of South Carolina between 1797 and 1799, a small village named Belleville can be found along the Congaree River north and east of Fort Motte - in what today would be Calhoun County.


Belleville was the name of Col. William Thomson's plantation in what was the overarching Orangeburgh District prior to the American Revolution. Thomson was captured at the Fall of Charlestown on May 12, 1780 and he remained on parole until the end of the war.

During the war, the British captured his plantation and turned it into a stockaded fortification. On February 22, 1781, Brig. Gen. Thomas Sumter attempted to retake the plantation, now a British Fort, but he was turned back by a small British contingent. Click Here for a little more information on this brief engagement.


At some point in time, either just before, during, or at the very end of the American Revolution, William Thomson petitioned the South Carolina General Assembly to allow him to lay out a town at his existing plantation and for it to be named Belleville - the name of his plantation.

In "The Statutes at Large of South Carolina - Volume IV," Pages 557-559 provide "An Act for Establishing a Fair and Markets in the Town of Belleville, on the Congaree River, in this State," passed on March 16, 1783. Click Here to view/download this entire Act as provided herein.



© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved