A History of Boonesborough Township, South Carolina

In 1761, The Bounty Act was a direct result of the French and Indian War (1756-1759 in the colonies) and the Cherokee War (1760) in South Carolina. This Act provided cash money to anyone who brought settlers to the "upcountry" area of South Carolina - again, to serve as a deterrent against future Indian attacks on the colony. Three new "townships" were established as a result of the Bounty Act of 1761, much like the earlier townships of 1730.

Once again, these three townships did not survive into the modern era. The American Revolution brought about the factions of Loyalists (Tories) and Freedom Fighters (Patriots), and the many years of conflict during the war caused many of the new settlers to pack up and move to other parts.



Templeton-Drake Log House - Built c.1763

In 1762, Boonesborough Township was established and settled by Scots-Irish Presbyterians from Virginia. This new township was located in what is present-day Greenwood County - certainly the new western frontier of the colony at that time, very close to the Cherokee lower towns in northwestern South Carolina.

Surveyed in 1762 by Patrick Calhoun and named for Royal Governor Thomas Boone, this 20,500 acre township was laid out west of the town of Ninety-Six as a buffer between white and Cherokee lands. In 1763, Scots-Irish families began to settle in the area near Long Cane Creek, Park's Creek, and Chickasaw Creek. The headwaters of Long Cane Creek are 500 feet south; the Cherokee Path crossed the township boundary one mile to the south.

With the District Court Act of 1769, seven new districts were established, and Boonesborough Township was situated in the newly-created Ninety-Six District.

Patrick Calhoun, a pious Scot who had lived for some time in Virginia, was heavily involved in settling this group of Presbyterian Scots who had moved to Ulster, Northern Ireland from Scotland. The settlers wanted fertile land, watered by springs or fronting on creeks, and land described as "lying well." They wanted convenient access to their land and routes to get their farm products and livestock to markets. The land selected for them was bountifully supplied with creeks, lying on the headwaters of Long Cane Creek, and included parts of the watersheds for Chickasaw Creek, Park's Creek, and a bit of Turkey Creek.

Boonesborough Township never actually developed into a township as the name implies. The towns of Donalds and Due West eventually became established in the area. Donalds formed in 1842 and is located on what was the north corner of Boonesborough. Due West became a town in the western corner of Boonesborough.


Boonesborough Township Plat 1762 - From SC State Archives - Click Here


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved