A History of Jamesville, South Carolina

Clarendon County has a name of historical significance as it is named after Edward Hyde, the Earl of Clarendon. He was friend and supporter of King Charles II of England, and was at one time Lord High Chancellor of England and also one of the original eight Lord Proprietors of the colony of Carolina.

In 1785, a legislative Act was passed which divided Camden District into seven counties, one of which was Clarendon. Clarendon County was defined as "beginning on the Wateree at Person's Island, thence by the widow Grymes' plantation strait to Lynch's Creek, then along Santee River to the beginning."

In 1790, Clarendon County had two representatives and shared one senator with Claremont County (which included Sumter County). In 1792, Salem County was created from eastern Clarendon and Claremont counties. In 1800, these three counties (Clarendon, Claremont,and Salem) were combined to form Sumter District (county). From 1800 to 1855, Clarendon County ceased to exist. During it's first short existence, the county seat was Jamesville.

When Sumter District (county) was formed in 1800 out of Claremont and Clarendon counties, Jamesville continued to thrive in Sumter County.


On January 1, 1800, Jamesville was granted a U.S. Post Office, and the first Postmaster was John A. James. This Post Office remained in continuous operation until April 4, 1840, when it was permanently closed.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved