A History of St. Andrews Town, South Carolina

This Author is of the opinion that this alleged town never materialized beyond the "planning" phase. There are no extant records in the Statutes at Large of South Carolinal about this town, and it has never been found by the Author on any maps of South Carolina. As provided in the account below, it is alleged that St. Andrews Town was created very near to the already-established Ashley River Ferry Town and that because of this it probably never existed. But... of course, we could be wrong.


From "Some Forgotten Towns in Lower South Carolina," by Henry A.M. Smith, published in The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 14, No. 4, October 1913, pages 198-208, published by: South Carolina Historical Society [with minor edits]:

This was a small projected town laid out contiguous to the Parish Church of St. Andrews and not far from Ashley River Ferry Town, on the south side of Ashley River.

On 12 October, 1701, a grant of 38 acres of land had been made to Francis Fidling. This 38 acres, Francis Fidling, on 24 February, 1701, transferred to Thomas Rose and by several mesne conveyances this 38 acres, together with a house and lot at Ashley River Ferry, commonly called Ashley Ferry store, adjoining the 38 acres, with two or three acres of marsh land adjacent, became vested in Thomas Dymes, under whose will his executors sold the whole on 22 May, 1734, to William Cattell. Thereafter William Cattell laid out the Town on part of the 38 acres under the name of St. Andrews Town.

It was very near Ashley River Ferry Town or Butlers Town, being separated from it only by the road to the ferry landing place and a comparatively narrow strip of land, part of the landed property of Shem Butler, which went to his eldest daughter, Elizabeth Butler, who married the second Landgrave, Edmund Bellinger, and after his death Thomas Elliott.

The town, although laid out by William Cattell, was not all on his 38 acres. A part of it was on a tract of 140 acres granted to Francis Fidling, 14 August, 1701, and which had become vested in Abraham Waight, who on 22 July, 1703, conveyed it to Charles Jones. So that a certain number of the lots in the projected town belonged to William Cattell and a certain number to Charles Jones.

Cattell on 6th May, 1735/5 conveyed to John Haydon, Cordwainer, lot No. 30, and on 15 March, 1736, to Jane Monger lot No. 2 in St. Andrews Town, the deed in each case stating there was a building on the lot conveyed. Charles Jones, on 11 June, 1748, conveys to Elizabeth Ful er three acres in St. Andrews Town, bounding West on High Street and South on the King's High Road, and on 6th March, 1755, Charles Jones (to whom the land had come from his father, Charles Jones, deceased) conveyed to Elizabeth Fuller 25 acres immediately adjoining. In 1739, William Cattell conveys to Elizabeth Fuller a lot in St. Andrews Town and a little earlier Charles Jones conveys to her lots 1, 14, and 15, in the same town.

Beyond the model of the town and the record of transfers of lots on it, and the evidence from some of the deeds that there were houses on some of the lots, nothing appears upon the record concerning the town. It is doubtful if its existence ever went much beyond its plan. Any reason for a town at that point would have applied more strongly to the adjacent Ashley River Ferry Town, immediately at the ferry, and there was not sufficient demand for a town to support one at the latter point.



© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved