A History of Saint Stephens, South Carolina

Found on quite a few maps of South Carolina as early as 1779 and as late as 1799, a small village named Saint Stephens can be found way up the Santee River, well northeast of Moncks Corner, in what is today Berkeley County - it was in the Charlestown District at that early time.

It is known that this area was named Saint Stephen's Parish of the SC Anglican Church. Apparently over the years enough folks gathered into a community large enough for the mapmakers to include this village on several of their maps.


In 1754, St. Stephens was first settled in what was St. Stephen's Parish that was established in the same year. On July 1, 1812, a U.S. Post Office for the town of Pineville was established at this location, in Charleston District (County) at that time. On April 6, 1866, the town was renamed to St. Stephen's Depot, and the first Postmaster was Hermann Punzerbieter. In 1882, it was now in Berkeley County. On November 28, 1892, the town was renamed to just St. Stephen. It has had a U.S. Post Office ever since inception.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved