South Carolina Railroads - Laurens Railroad / Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

LRR

1847

1855

1896*

Laurens, SC

Newberry, SC
+ 1924 - Merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina.
* 1896 - Merged into the Columbia, Newberry & Laurens Railroad.
+ 1881 - One source asserts this company was re-organized in 1881 as the Laurens Railway.

The Laurens Railroad was built with private subscriptions. Grading began 1850-51, construction was complete in 1855, and after changing hands several times went bankrupt. The iron rails were stolen during the war.

It was rebuilt in 1874, again by private subscription.

In 1888, it was bought by the Richmond and Danville Railroad, which apparently sold it to the Columbia, Newberry & Laurens Railroad in 1896.

From the Fourth Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commissioners issued in 1882, the following stations were named for the Laurens Railroad:

Station................................................ Distance between Stations

Newberry C.H. .................................................. 0 miles 
Helena ................................................................ 1.4 miles
Jalapa ................................................................. 5.4 miles
Martin's .............................................................. 9.2 miles
Clinton ................................................................ 5.9 miles
Laurensville ......................................................... 9.5 miles

Towns on Route:

Laurensville > Laurens (1893)

Hollands

Clinton (1854)

Huntsville > Martins Depot (1853) > Goldville (1883) > Joanna (1948)

Kinards Turnout (1856) > Kinards (1881)

Pagesville > Jalappa (1855) > Jalapa (1875)

Newberry C.H. > Newberry (1892)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved