The American Revolution in North Carolina

Franklin County Regiment of Militia

Date Established:

Colonels:

Original Officers:

January 30, 1779

Col. Benjamin Seawell
Col. William Brickell

Col. Benjamin Seawell
Lt. Col. John Brickell
Lt. Col. William Pastorn
Maj. William Brickell
Maj. Thomas Sherrod

Known Lt. Colonels:

Known Majors: 

Known Adjutants:

Lt. Col. John Brickell
Lt. Col. William Pastorn
Lt. Col. William Brickell
Lt. Col. Coleman
Lt. Col. Thomas Sherrod

Maj. William Brickell
Maj. Thomas Sherrod
Maj. Bry Ferrell
Maj. William Hill

None Known

Miscellaneous Players:

William Hill - Commissary

-

Christopher Lockey - Commissary

Known Captains:

Julius Alford

William Allen

George Bledsoe

Isaac Bledsoe

William Brenner

Matthew Brickle

William Brickle

Solomon Carter

Elijah Denby

James Denton

Jenkins Devaney

Benjamin Eaves

William Ferrell

? Ferry

Robert Goodloe

Britton Harris

Daniel Harris

Robert Hight

Harry Hill

William Hill

Henry Hunt

? Jeter

Daniel Jones

? Levary

Henry Long

? Lynch

Harrison Macon

Wells Milner

Nicholas Murphy

John Norwood

Joel Parish

Richard Ransom

James Richards

William Richards

Edward Richardson

William Rush

Robert Temple

Nathan Thomas

Nathan Turner

Known Lieutenants - Captain Unknown:

-

Robert Hight

-

Known Privates / Fifers / Drummers, etc. - Captain Unknown:

Henry Long

Micajah Rackley

Person Rackley

-

Richard Ransom

-

Brief History of the Regiment:

On January 30, 1779, the NC General Assembly created Franklin County and its regiment of Militia out of part of Bute County and its regiment of Militia, which was abolished. All officers were appointed and commissioned by the Governor.

The Franklin County Regiment was active until the end of the war. Units of this regiment were known to have participated in the following known battles/skirmishes:

Date(s):

Known Battles / Skirmishes:

3/3/1779

Briar Creek (GA)

6/20/1779

Stono Ferry (SC)

3/28-5/12/1780 

Siege of Charleston 1780 (SC)

8/11/1780

Little Lynches Creek (SC)

8/16/1780

Camden (SC)

9/26/1780

Charlotte

12/4/1780

Rugeley's Mills #2 (SC)

3/15/1781

Guilford Court House

4/25/1781

Hobkirk's Hill (SC)

5/7/1781

Swift Creek & Fishing Creek

 8/2/1781

Rockfish Creek


© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved