North Carolina - Craven County Airports

Airport Name

At / Near Town

Type

FAA LID

Year
Opened

Year
Closed

Comments

1) Canaan Air Base Airport

New Bern

Private

NC20

2008

-
Per AirNav - activated 3/2008. Owned and operated by Calvary Baptist Church.

2) Coastal Carolina Regional Airport

New Bern

Primary

EWN

1931

-
Was Craven County Regional Airport, was Simmons-Nott Airport, was New Bern Regional Airport. Simmons-Nott came from North Carolina Senator Furnifold McLendel Simmons who was present at the 1931 dedication of the new terminal. During an air performance for the dedication, United States Marine Corps First Lieutenant Joel Nott was killed. Senator Simmons required that 1st Lt Nott's named be added to the airport to pay homage for the fallen military officer. On August 15, 2008, the name was changed from Craven County Regional Airport to Coastal Carolina Regional Airport. Owned by Craven County.

3) Dogwood Farm Airport

Havelock

Private

NC87

1979

-
Per AirNav - activated 8/1979. Owned and operated by Hubert C. Pulley.

4) Hickory Hill Airport

Havelock

Private

62NC

1974

-
Per AirNav - activated 7/1974. Owned and operated by John Tyler Jackson Trust.

5) Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point
(Cunningham Field)

Havelock

Military

NKT

1942

-
aka Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station. Per AirNav - activated 6/1943. On May 20, 1942, the facility was commissioned Cunningham Field, named in honor of the Marine Corps' first aviator, Lieutenant Colonel Alfred A. Cunningham. The completed facility was later renamed Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, after a local post office situated among cherry trees. As of January 2019, currently home to the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. They provide the aviation combat element for the II Marine Expeditionary Force.

6) Marine Corps Out Lying Field Camp Mitchell

New Bern

Defunct
Military

-

1941

1945
On August 8, 1941, the U.S. Marine Corps leased what became an outlying field of Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point and named it OLF Camp Mitchell. In the beginning of 1942, the Army Air Force used the field for anti-submarine patrols. The field was later closed for seven months during 1942 while two hard surface runways and a runway lighting system were installed. The first Marine aviation units began to arrive at the field in February 1943. Among the units to train at the field during the war was Marine Aircraft Group 34 and fighter squadrons VMF-324 and VMF-511. In January 1944, plans were announced to expand the field. However, these plans were abandoned because the Marine Corps acquired surplus Army fields.

7) Tri-County Airport

Vanceboro

Defunct

-

Unk

-
Very little information available on this airport.


© 2019 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved