North Carolina - Onslow County Airports

Airport Name

At / Near Town

Type

FAA LID

Year
Opened

Year
Closed

Comments

1) Albert J. Ellis Airport

Jacksonville

Primary

OAJ

1971

-
Opening on February 15, 1971, the airport is used by general aviation, military and is served by two commercial airlines, Delta Connection, and American Eagle. Owned by Onslow County.

2) Camp Davis Army Air Field
Hollyridge Army Air Field

Holly Ridge

Defunct
Military

-

1940

1954
Camp Davis was originally built in 1940 as an Army anti-aircraft artillery training facility. It was an expansive facility, consisting of more than 3,000 buildings on 45,538 acres, with access provided by newly-built railroad spurs leading into the camp. A list of airfields used by the U.S. Government indicated that usage of “Hollyridge AAF” ended on 8/31/45, and the property was transferred to the U.S. Navy. The site was used by the Navy for the development & testing of early surface-to-air missiles until it was dismantled in the late 1940s. In 1954, the U.S. Marine Corps took out a new lease for approximately 955 acres on the former Camp Davis airfields and surrounding land from International Paper Company. See Marine Corps Out Lying Field Camp Davis below.

3) Epley Airport

Belgrade,
Jacksonville

Private

52NC

2000

-
Per AirNav - activated 5/2000. Owned and operated by Steve Epley.

4) Hell and Purgatory Airport

Richlands

Defunct

-

-

-
Very little information available on this airport.

5) Holly Ridge / Topsail Island Airport

Holly Ridge,
Topsail Island

Private

N21

1980

-
Per AirNav - activated 4/1980. Owned and operated by Grover D. Ellis and Elizabeth Whitley.

6) Jacksonville Airport

Jacksonville

Defunct

-

c.1945

1972
aka Jacksonville Municipal Airport. The original airport for the town of Jacksonville was located to the northeast of the town and was apparently built at some point between 1945-46. Bill Scott owned/rented the Jacksonville Airport in the early 1960s. He ran Onslow Aviation out of the office there. He also worked for the NC State Forest Service and flew for them from there. The 1971 Flight Guide depicted Jacksonville Municipal Airport as having a single unpaved 2,640' Runway 4/22. Since the new airport (Albert J. Ellis Airport, see above) was also opened in 1971, this airport closed down by 1972.

7) Marine Corps Air Station New River
(McCutcheon Field)

Jacksonville

Military

NCA

1943

-
aka New River Marine Corps Air Station. Per AirNav - activated 8/1944. The location was placed under the command of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune and received its first squadron, VMSB-331 from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point on March 9, 1943. From mid-1943 through August 1944, Marine bombing squadrons VMB-433, VMB-443 and VMB-612 operating the land-based PBJ Mitchell bomber were stationed there. As WW-II came to an end, MCAAF Camp Lejeune was closed and reverted to caretaker status as an outlying airfield of MCAS Cherry Point. In 1951, the installation was reactivated and became Marine Corps Air Facility Peterfield Point, Camp Lejeune. Only one year later the name was changed again, this time to Marine Corps Air Facility New River. July 1954 marked the arrival of the first operational Marine Aircraft Group, MAG-26, which was transferred from MCAS Cherry Point. The area faced another major name change in 1968, where it was recommissioned as Marine Corps Air Station (Helicopter) New River, marking its growth from a small training area to a major operational airfield. In 1972, the airfield was named McCutcheon Field for General Keith B. McCutcheon, one of the fathers of Marine Corps helicopter aviation. This Air Station was the first Marine Corps base with the new MV-22 Osprey. Near Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, it shares some facilities with Camp Geiger.Owned and operated by the U.S. Navy.

8) Marine Corps Expeditionary Air Field Blue Bird

Duck Creek

Defunct
Military

-

c.1975

c.2011
This small airfield on the property of Camp Lejune is one of 31 Expeditionary Airfields operated by the Marine Corps. It was built between 1970-82, as the airfield is not depicted at all on the 1970 USGS topo map. A 5/2/82 USGS aerial view depicted Blue Bird as having a single paved Runway 13/31. In 1998, the Blue Bird EAF was rebuilt by members of the "Untouchables," Marine Wing Support Squadron 272. TLZ Blue Bird is a vertical/short takeoff & landing (VSTOL) site used by helicopter and AV-8 Harrier pilots for combat mission training. The airfield at Blue Bird consists of a single 1,700' runway, composed of hundreds of interlocking aluminum mats. A taxiway leads a 96' square vertical takeoff and landing pad.

9) Marine Corps Out Lying Field Camp Davis

Holly Ridge

Military

14NC

1954

-
aka Camp Davis Marine Corps Outlying Field. Was Camp Davis Army Air Field, see above. In 1954, the Marine Corps took out a new lease for approximately 955 acres on the former Camp Davis airfields and surrounding land from International Paper Company. In recent years, the Marine Corps has used Camp Davis as a Marine Corps Outlying Landing Field (MCOLF) for helicopter units based at nearby Marine Corps Air Station New River. Runway 18/36 was re-surfaced with concrete in 1997.

10) Sky Manor Airport

Jacksonville

Private

N22

1977

-
Per AirNav - activated 6/1977. Owned and operated by A.V. Jones.

11) White Oak Airport

Jacksonville

Defunct

-

c.1976

c.1983
aka Piney Green International Airport. The 1977 USGS topo map depicted the field as having a single 2,400' unpaved north/south runway. A single small building was depicted on the southeast side of the runway. The field started out as a fueling point for crop dusters and just grew from that. It was open in the 1970s & was a private airstrip, located off Piney Green Road behind White Oak High School. The 1982 AOPA Airports USA Directory listed the field as a private airfield, humorously named “Piney Green International.” White Oak and Piney Green International were indeed the same place. It is suspected that the term Piney Green International was more a joke than a real name for the place. It closed in the early 1980s. The site of White Oak Airport was located northeast of the intersection of Piney Green Road and Halltown Road.

12) Winding Creek Airport

Sneads Ferry

Private

8NC3

Unk

-
Owned and operated by D. Fred Allen.


© 2019 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved