North Carolina Railroads - Atlantic & Yadkin Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

A&Y RR

1899

1899

1950*

Wilmington, NC
Sanford, NC Stokesdale, NC Climax, NC
Gulf, NC
Greensboro, NC
Mt. Airy, NC

Sanford, NC
Mt. Airy, NC Madison, NC Ramseur, NC
Buff Quarry
Proximity Mills
Granite Quarry

*1950 - Company dissolved and absorbed into Southern Railway, in its Winston-Salem Division, effective January 1, 1950.
+ 1924 - In receivership. Ultimately returned to profitability.
+ 1916 - added branch line from Mt. Airy to Woodruff.
+ 1899 - Organized on January 31, 1899 under the laws of North Carolina. Northern half operated by Southern Railway through ownership of its capital stock. Southern half operated by Atlantic Coast Line.
Was part of the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railway #2, that was split up in 1899 - the southern sections going to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and this section acquired by Southern Railway, then spun off as a separate entity.

The Atlantic & Yadkin Railway came into being when representatives of the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad (soon to be reformed as the Atlantic Coast Line) outbid the Southern Railway for the debt-ridden Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railway in an 1899 auction.

The Wilmington & Weldon Railroad had a clause in its mortgage that required any railroad purchased by the W&W to be placed under the same corporate name. The W&W did not want the whole of the CF&YV. So the CF&YV was sold to the Southern Railway, where it was reorganized as a new company under the name Atlantic & Yadkin Railway. The newly created A&Y then sold back the southern half of its lines from Sanford to Wilmington to the W&W. The northern half remained a subsidiary of the Southern Railway.

The questionable legality of the transaction regarding the split of the CF&YV meant years of legal wrangling by angry investors and interested state citizens who saw the only "trunk" line from the western mountains to a North Carolina port split between two competitors, but the North Carolina courts eventually sided with the railroads that the crafty sale and reorganization was legal.

Southern Railway wholly owned the A&Y, but in 1917 allowed it to run independently until the short lines' wilting fortunes convinced Southern Railway's management to absorb the company and make the lines part of the Winston-Salem division in 1950.

Towns on Route:

Line #1 - Sanford to Mount Airy:

Sanford

Jonesboro

Cumnock

Gulf

Goldston

Bearcreek

Causey > Bonlee (1910)

Ore Hill > Mount Vernon Springs (1924)

Siler City

Staley

Liberty

Julian

Climax

Pleasant Garden

Vandalia

Greensboro

Battle Ground

Summerfield

Stokesdale

Belew Creek Mills > Belew Creek (1903) > Belews Creek (1971)

Walnut Cove

Germanton

Rural Hall

King

Dalton

Pinnacle

Pilot Mountain

Forge > Ararat (1903)

Mt. Airy

Line #2 - Stokesdale to Madison:

Stokesdale

Rocky Springs (faded 1905)

Madison

Line #3 - Climax to Ramseur:

Climax

Millboro

Cedar Falls

Franklinville

Ramseur

Line #4 - Gulf to Buff Quarry:

Gulf

Buff Quarry

Line #5 - Greensboro to Proximity Mills:

Greensboro

Proximity Mills

Line #6 - Mt. Airy to Granite Quarry:

Mt. Airy

Granite Quarry

Line #7 - Sanford to Wilmington (See Atlantic Coast Line)

Line #8 - Mt. Airy to Woodruff:

Mt. Airy

Woodruff



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved