North Carolina Railroads - Carolina Central Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

CCR

1873

1873

1880*

Wilmington, NC

Rutherfordton
+ 1880 - Re-organized as the Carolina Central Railroad.
*1876 in bankruptcy.
Was the Wilmington, Charlotte & Rutherford Railroad. Re-organized by NC legislative Act of March 1, 1873.

On April 10, 1873, the Wilmington, Charlotte, and Rutherfordton Railroad was reorganized as the Carolina Central Railway Company. In 1874, a new line was completed to Shelby, NC. The new company constructed a bridge across the Pee Dee River and extended tracks through Monroe to join the rails at Charlotte in December of 1874. Thus, the Carolina Central Railway operated a main line of about 240 miles between Wilmington and Shelby, NC.

In 1877, the Raleigh & Augusta Air Line Railroad made a connection with this line at Hamlet, NC, opening up a through route to Raleigh and the north. However, even that additional business did not enable the company to operate at a profit.

A receiver was appointed by the courts in 1876, and on May 31, 1880 the company was sold at foreclosure to be reorganized as the Carolina Central Railroad, as shown above.

Towns on Route:

Wilmington

Mears Bluff (1880s)

Phoenix (1873)

Summerville

Armour (1876)

Robeson

Marlsville > Marlville (1882) > East Arcadia (1900)

Bristol (1875) > Council Station (1878) > Council (1903)

Jarvis (1879) > Perryville (1890) > Southwood (1898)

Rosindale

Emerson (1891)

Vicksburg (1873) > Elkinsville (1874) > Elkton (1888)

Middle Swamp (1876-1884)

Clarkton

Abbottsburg

Bladenboro

Yorkville > Richardson (1889)

Bear Bay > Allenton (1874)

Lumberton

Barkers (1882-1883)

Lowe (1890)

Moss Neck (1875-1905)

Red Banks

Pembroke (1896)

Pates (1878)

Plummerville (1870-1890)

Shoe Heel > Maxton (1886)

Laurinburgh > Laurinburg (1893)

Laurel Hill

Old Hundred (1874)

Hamlet (1876)

Rockingham

Pee Dee

Lilesville

Wadesboro

Boggans (1874-1876)

Polkton (1873)

Lanesboro > Peachland (1888)

Beaver Dam > Marshville (1895

Monroe

Indian Trail

Fullwood's Store > Matthews (1875)

Charlotte

Paw Creek (1875-1899)

Woodlawn > Mount Holly (1888)

Stanleys Creek > Stanley (1894)

Iron Station

Lincolnton

Cherryville

Shelby

Burnt Chimney > Forest City (1882)

Rutherfordton



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved