Ninety-Six District, SC

Evolution of Boundaries - With Known Towns & Villages

The "overarching" Ninety-Six District gained territory in 1777 when the Cherokees ceded much land; in 1786 when Greenville County was added; gained territory again in 1789 when Pendleton County was added; then in 1791, it ceded lands to create the Washington District and to create the Pinckney District.

Its population decreased from 73,729 in 1790 to 56,498 in 1800, when it was eliminated and broken into smaller districts (counties).

Click on the maps below to see what the Ninety-Six District looked like from 1768 to 1800, including all of the known towns and villages.

1769-1784

1785

1786-1788

1789-1790

1791-1800

 


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved