Clarendon County, SC

Evolution of Boundaries - With Known Towns & Villages

Clarendon County has had two incarnations in South Carolina - from 1785 to 1800, and from 1855 to the present day - both with essentially the same configuration at inception.

In its first incarnation within South Carolina, Clarendon County ceded land for the creation of Salem County in 1792.

In its second incarnation within South Carolina, Clarendon County ceded land for the creation of Florence County in 1888, and it ceded a small portion of land to Sumter County around 1922.

Its population was 2,392 in 1790. During its second incarnation, its population grew from 13,095 in 1860 to 34,971 in 2010.

Click on the maps below to peruse the known towns and villages that came and went over two centuries - a few cannot be located since they do not show up on available maps of SC.

-

1785-1790

1791-1792

1793-1800

-

1855-1860

1861-1870

1871-1880

1881-1888

1889-1890

1891-1900

1901-1910

1911-1920

1921-1930

1931-1940

-

1941-1950

1951-1960

1961-1970

-

 


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved