The American Revolution in South Carolina

March 1, 1775

June 21, 1775

November 21, 1775

February 29, 1776

April 15, 1776

June 4, 1776

October 31, 1776

February 15, 1777

October 30, 1777

March 28, 1778

January 10, 1779

October 10, 1779

January 20, 1780

June 1, 1780

August 16, 1780

January 20, 1781

May 15, 1781

September 30, 1781

November 15, 1781

January 31, 1782

December 14, 1782


Since January, the key changes in leadership were: SC 3rd Regiment (Rangers) - Lt. Col. William Henderson added to assist Col. William Thomson; Colleton County Regiment (of militia) - Col. William Skirving replaced Col. John Sanders; Lower District Regiment (of militia) - Col. Reuben Harrison replaced Col. Jonas Beard.

At the Fall of Charlestown on May 12, 1780, the following leaders surrendered to the British Army within Charlestown:

- Maj. Gen. Benjamin Lincoln - Continental Army, Southern Department Commander;
- Brig. Gen. William Moultrie - Continental Army, South Carolina;
- Col. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney - SC 1st Regiment - attached to Continental Army;
- Col. William Thomson and Lt. Col. William Henderson - SC 3rd Regiment - attached to Continental Army;
- Col. Barnard Beeckman - SC 4th Regiment - attached to Continental Army;
- Capt. Sims White - Charles Town Artillery Company (militia);
- Brig. Gen. Richard Richardson - 2nd Brigade of SC Militia commander;
- Brig. Gen. Alexander McIntosh - 4th Brigade of SC Militia commander;

- Col. Maurice Simons - Charles Town District Regiment (militia);
- Col. William Skirvin - Colleton County Regiment (militia);
- Col. Archibald McDonald - Kingstree Regiment (militia);
- Col. Benjamin Garden - Granville County Regiment (militia);
- Col. Robert Herriot - Georgetown District Regiment (militia);
- Col. Hugh Giles - Lower Craven County District Regiment (militia).

Most of the militia leaders who were captured and paroled were exchanged in late 1780 and early 1781, and were soon thereafter back on active duty.

Three key leaders surrendered in the backcountry - Brig. Gen. Andrew Williamson, Col. Andrew Pickens, and Col. Joseph Kershaw. These men were paroled by the British and agreed to sit out the remainder of the war. Col. Andrew Pickens did not after his home was destroyed - he considered his parole to then be null and void and he was soon back on active duty and promoted to Brigadier General of Militia in January of 1781. Col. Joseph Kershaw was taken to Honduras by the British and held for over a year.

Brig. Gen. Isaac Huger was purposefully sent out of Charlestown well before the surrender. Lt. Col. Francis Marion left Charlestown because of an injury, and was at home when his regiment surrendered. Col. Daniel Horry was patrolling outside of Charleston when it fell. Brig. Gen. Stephen Bull was at his HQ in the Lowcountry. Most of the remainder of the South Carolina militia leaders were not in or around Charlestown when it fell - however, some might have been captured and paroled but these are lost to history since scant documentation exists to prove/disprove their capture.

© 2014 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved