South Carolina - Richland County Airports

Airport Name

At / Near Town

Type

FAA LID

Year
Opened

Year
Closed

Comments

1) Columbia Municipal Airport,
Columbia Owens Downtown Airport

Columbia

Defunct

-

1930

2008
Airport was dedicated on April 24, 1930. After the war, the airport was renamed Owens Field for Columbia Mayor Dr. Lawrence B. Owens, who was one of the most ardent supporters of a municipal airport. In 2008, the Columbia Owens Downtown Airport was renamed in honor of former airport manager Jim Hamilton.

2) McEntire Joint National Guard Base
(was Congaree Army Air Field),
(was Ft. Jackson Airdrome),
(was Congaree Army Airport)

Eastover

Military

MMT

1943

-
Congaree Army Airport, then Fort Jackson Airdrome, and finally Congree Army Airfield. Construction was completed on January 31, 1943 with the completion of three 4,500 ft runways. The base was eventually turned over to the South Carolina Air National Guard and renamed McEntire ANG Base in October 1961 by Governor Ernest F. Hollings. It was renamed McEntire Joint National Guard Station in 2005 to reflect the joint presence of Army and Air National Guard units. Officially owned by the US Air Force.

3) Clemson University Sandhill Experimental Station Airfield

Pontiac

Defunct

-

1950s

1960s
Located near Pontiac, the Sandhill Experiment Station was established in 1926 to help solve farming problems in SC. It had a single grass strip in the 1950s which was used in the early 1960s by a glider club.

4) Jim Hamilton - L.B. Owens Airport

Columbia

Reliever

CUB

2008

-
Was Columbia Municipal Airport, Columbia Owens Downtown Airport. In 2008, it was renamed in honor of former airport manager Jim Hamilton.

5) Gwinn Field Airport

Eastover

Private

1SC2

2003

-
Per AirNav - activated 9/2003. Owned and operated by Thomas J. Holbrook. Several sources indicate that this airport is closed.

6) Emerson Field & Longstreet Airstrip
at Camp Jackson

Columbia

Defunct Military

-

1918

Unk
Flight training for 36 airplanes, just south of Garner's Ferry Road where Veteran's Hospital now stands. Longstreet Airstrip was a practice field near Percival Road.

7) Redfern Field

Columbia

Defunct

-

1923

1927
Columbia's true first commercial airfield, established by Paul R. Redfern. He vanished while attempting a non-stop flight to Brazil in 1927.

8) McFarland Field
(aka Hampton Field)

Columbia

Defunct
Military

-

c.1928

Unk
105th Observation Squadron. 1953, renamed to Hilton Field. Now, used only for military ceremonies.
In a 1910 photograph, there is a cloth banner flying across Main Street in Columbia, Sc which reads "Flying Machines, Fair Grounds. Dec. 7-8 Wed-Thur 2:00 pm." In 1904, the State Fair Ground were moved to its present location on the Bluff Road. Beginning in 1910, the horse racing track area was used as Columbia's first civilian landing aread for airplanes. This info, plus info on items 6, 7, and 8 above, comes from the book entitled "Airports of Columbia," by Russell Maxey, 1987. Great book, but provides no definitive dates for when the early airfields were opened or closed.


© 2019 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved