South Carolina Railroads - Asheville & Spartanburg Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

A&S RR

1881

1881

1895*

Spartanburg, SC

Asheville, NC
+ 1902 - Acquired by Southern Railway and folded into its Carolina Division.
* 1895 - Leased by Southern Railway on November 11, 1895.
Managed by the Richmond & Danville Railroad system during its existence from 1881 to 1895.
Was the Spartanburg & Asheville Railroad.

Upon reorganization of the Spartanburg & Asheville Railroad into this new company, construction proceeded quite steadily from Hendersonville to Asheville in North Carolina.

The first track laid was 5-foot broad gauge, but by 1890 all track was replaced with standard guage steel rails.

In 1886, this line finally joined with the Western North Carolina Railroad at Asheville Junction in the small community called Best Station, renamed to Best, then renamed to Biltmore.

From the Fourth Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commissioners issued in 1882, the following stations were named for the Asheville & Spartanburg Railroad:

Station................................................ Distance between Stations

Spartanburg...................................................... 0 miles
Compton ......................................................... 10.00 miles
Inman's ............................................................ 2.00 miles
Campobello ..................................................... 6.00 miles
Landrum's ........................................................ 5.00 miles
SC/NC State Line ............................................ 0.75 miles

From the 1st Annual Report of the North Carolina Railroad Commission, dated December 31, 1891:

Road opened to Hendersonville, NC, June 1st, 1879. Sold under foreclosure April 4th, 1881, and reorganized under present name. Road completed from Hendersonville to Asheville, twenty-one miles, and opened for business July 13th, 1886, under management of the Richmond & Danville Railroad Company.

This company was chartered under the name of the Greenville & French Broad Railroad Company by Act of the General Assembly, ratified the 13th day of February, 1855, afterwards amended by Act of the General Assembly, ratified 22d day of December, 1873, in pursuance of the laws of North and South Carolina, consolidated with the Spartanburg & Asheville Railroad Company of South Carolina under the corporate name of the Spartanburg & Asheville Railroad Company, by act of the General Assembly, ratified the 9th day of December, 1874. No limitation expressed in act as to limitation or duration of charter. On the 12th day of March, 1881, an act was ratified by the General Assembly of North Carolina for the relief of the stockholders of the Spartanburg & Asheville Railroad Company—by authority of this Act the company assumed its present name.

Chairman of the Board---------------- Joseph Walker ----------------------- Spartanburg, SC.
President------------------------------ James Swann------------------------- New York, NY.
First Vice-President------------------- Joseph Walker----------------------- Spartanburg, SC.
Secretary.............................................A.L. White.........................................Washington, DC.
Treasurer............................................ W. E. Turner------------------------- Washington, DC.

Towns on Route (in SC):

SC/NC State Line

Landrum

Campobello

Grambling (1892)

Inman

Campton

Montrose (1898)

Saxon Mills Station (1900s)

Spartanburg C.H. > Spartanburg (1887)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved