South Carolina Railroads - Augusta & Aiken Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

AARY

1901

1902

1929

Augusta, GA

Aiken, SC
+ 1911 - On April 10, 1911, the Augusta & Columbia Railway was re-organized as the August-Aiken Railway & Electric Company. All subsequent reporting simply referred to this line as the Augusta & Aiken Railway once again.
+ 1907 - Company authorized to sell all assets to the newly-created Augusta & Columbia Railway on February 13, 1907.
+ 1901 - The Augusta & Aiken Railway was chartered by the South Carolina Secretary of State on June 28, 1901.

Around the turn of the century, James U. Jackson and other land developers began construction on the luxurious Hampton Terrace Hotel in North Augusta, South Carolina. An electric trolley was constructed to the resort hotel and quickly surveyed for extension to Aiken, South Carolina. The railroad reached Aiken in 1902 and began operations that same year. The Hampton Terrace Hotel had its own spur track used to deliver coal and freight, and remained an important fixture of the route until it burned to the ground in 1916.

Freight services over the line came in the form of an express car and electric boxcab locomotives. Most freight traffic consisted of coal delivered to the Hampton Terrace Hotel or to the numerous cotton mills along the line.

As with many other inter-urban railroads in the United States, the advent of the automobile helped bring about the end of the Augusta & Aiken Railway in 1929, when the line was completely abandoned.

In 1913, the South Carolina State Legislature passed an Act giving oversight jurisdiction of all "Interurban Railways" to the long-standing South Carolina Railroad Commission. In their 36th Annual Report for the year ending December 31, 1914, they provided their first information on the Augusta & Aiken Railway:

Stations ............................................... Miles

Augusta, GA ............................................ 0
Tobin, SC .................................................3.27
Belvedere, SC ......................................... 5.50
Power House, SC .....................................7.15
Clearwater, SC ........................................ 9.27
Bath, SC ................................................. 10.69
Langley, SC ............................................ 11.86
Warrensville, SC ..................................... 15.92
Graniteville, SC ....................................... 16.66
Sub-Station No. 5, SC ............................ 18.07
Moseley, SC ........................................... 20.61
Arbutus Hill, SC ...................................... 21.76
Aiken, SC ............................................... 23.61

The 37th Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commission for the year ending December 31, 1915 asserted that:

"The Augusta-Aiken Electric Railway Company has installed, by order of the commission, permanent partition for the separation of the races on most of its cars, and has also installed closets at each end of the cars. This road has also made extensive improvements as to roadbed and track."

Towns on Route:

SC/GA State Line

Graniteville

Aiken



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved