South Carolina Railroads - Berkeley Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

BRR

1892

1893

1906

Moncks Corner, SC

Chicora, SC

It was around the year 1891 that A.S. Emerson got the idea of establishing New England City (later called Chicora) on Ward's Plantation about six miles northwest of Pinopolis. The SC Legislature chartered the Berkeley Railroad on December 24, 1892. Emerson built the Berkeley Railroad, about nine (9) miles long, from Moncks Corner to New England City, and hoped to sell lots and see the city grow into a thriving community.

There was a small station built at the crossing in Pinopolis (where the tracks crossed the Pinopolis road). The train made two trips a day, morning and evening, and made connections with the Northeastern Railroad (now the Atlantic Coast Line) in Moncks Corner.

New England City never prospered and was sold at auction on July 23, 1906, at the Berkeley County Court House to the E. P. Burton Lumber Company. The tracks and ties were then probably taken up and used for lumbering in the county.

The old roadbed can still be seen, and is called the Old Tram Road. This is how Tram Street in Moncks Corner gets its name, being the old roadbed of the Berkeley Railroad.

Towns on Route:

Moncks Corner

Pinopolis (1894)

Chicora (1898)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved