South Carolina Railroads - Blackville, Alston & Newberry Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

BA&N RR

1886

1888

1895*

Blackville, SC

Newberry, SC
* 1898 - The Perry to Seivern line was acquired by the newly-formed Seivern & Knoxville Railroad.
* 1895 - In bankruptcy.
+ 1891 - The Carolina Midland Railroad acquired the Perry to Blackville line.
+ Was the unbuilt Blackville & Alston Railroad.

The Blackville, Alston, and Newberry Railroad was built in 1888 to serve kaolin mines near the North Fork Edisto River. Kaolin, pine forest products, and crops became a mainstay of this line, as well as some industries that located in and around Springfield, SC.

At Blackville it connected with the Charleston & Hamburg Railroad, by this time owned by the South Carolina & Georgia Railroad.

Towns on Route:

Blackville

Monie (1888)

Whaley (1888)

Aldrich (1880s)

Millersville (1887) > Springfield (1888)

Lalley > Salley (1886)

Sigma (1886) > Wagner (1888) > Perry (1888)

Berlin (1888) > Wagener (1889)

Seivern (1888)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved