|** 1897 - Acquired by Atlantic Coast Line of South Carolina, and operated the railroad as an independent company until formal absorption in 1959.|
|* 1896 - The re-organization of the Port Royal & Augusta Railroad and the Port Royal & Western Carolina Railroad assets within South Carolina after the State of South Carolina deemed that the PR&WC RR was an illegal corporation within SC.|
In 1894, the South Carolina legislature forced the financially ailing Central Railroad of Georgia to give up its railroad properties in South Carolina. These were the Port Royal & Augusta Railway, which ran from the South Carolina coast to Augusta, and the Port Royal & Western Carolina Railway, which linked Augusta with Greenville and several other towns in the South Carolina piedmont.
Only about fourteen (14) miles of the two railways were in Georgia, but Georgia was seeing most of the benefit, according to the South Carolina legislature. After the Central Railroad was forced out, the Charleston & Western Carolina Railroad was organized, in 1896, to operate the lines.
The Atlantic Coast Line of South Carolina gained control of the Charleston & Western Carolina Railroad in the following year. It was not, however, until 1959 that the smaller road was merged into the parent line.
|Click Here to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History's webpage on one of the Depots on the C&WC.|
Towns on Route (in SC):
Line #1 - Augusta, GA to Greenwood, SC:
SC/NC State Line
Line #2 - Greenwood to Spartanburg:
Highpoint > Coldpoint (1903)
Lanford Station > Lanford (1951)
Line #3 - McCormick to Anderson:
Moseley > Barnes (1912)
Iva (aka Cooks Station)
Orr Station (1900s)
Line #4 - Port Royal, SC to Augusta, GA:
Gray Hills (1905)
Sieglingville > Sieglinville (1907)
Millettville > Millett (1951)
Cathwood > Kathwood (1898)
Brown Hill (1907)
SC/GA State Line