South Carolina Railroads - Eutawville Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

ERR

1884

1887

1889*

Eutawville, SC

Creston, SC
+ 1897 - Merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina.
* 1889 - Name changed to the Charleston, Sumter & Northern Railroad.
Owned by the Manchester & Augusta Railroad.

Built between 1885 and 1887, the railroad stopped at Connors depot three times a day to pick up lumber, bricks, mail, and passengers.

Appointing himself engineer on June 20, 1885, William Harley gave a right-of-way through his property to the Eutawville Railroad Company for the purpose of building a railroad.

From the New York Times, dated September 15, 1888:

CHARLESTON, S.C., Sept. 14.--At Varnes today one pier of the Eutawville Railroad bridge over the Santee River gave way, precipitating several loaded cars and a number of employes into the river. Five men are still missing but as some of the others escaped after floating five miles down stream on timbers it is hoped all will be rescued.

Towns on Route:

Ferguson (1890)

Belvidere

Berkeley (1886) > Connors (1898)

Eutawville

Vance

Milicans

Poplar (1886) > Parler (1888) > Santee (1940)

Elloree

Creston (1896)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved