South Carolina Railroads - Georgetown & Lanes Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

G&L RR

1881

1883

1887*

Georgetown, SC

Lane, SC
* 1887 - Re-organized as the Georgetown & Western Railroad.
+ 1885 - In receivership.

Chartered in 1882, this railroad was a 5'-0" broad gauge line running thirty-six (36) miles from Georgetown through Andrews to Lanes, SC - a major connector to the Northeastern Railroad. The line commenced operations on July 1, 1883.

Philip Rossingnol Lachicotte was President. Directors were Benjamin Ingell Hazard, Richard Dozier, Louis S. Ehrich, David Risley, Benjamin Allston Munnerlyn, Robert Ellison Fraser, and Heiman Kaminski. P.E. Braswell was Superintendent of Construction, and G. W. Earle was Engineer in charge of Construction.

FYI - Robert Ellison Fraser was also the President of the Georgetown Telegraph Company; Directors were also Benjamin Ingell Hazard, Heiman Kaminski, Louis S. Ehrich, and Benjamin Allston Munnerlyn.

Business did not increase as planned, and the railroad was in receivership in 1885. It was re-organized in 1887 as the Georgetown & Western Railroad.

Georgetown was a principal port for the shipment of lumber and naval stores, which also proved to represent the majority of the traffic for this new railroad. However, the business was not enough to sustain the road, and in 1885 the company was in receivership.

Towns on Route:

Georgetown

Sampit Station (1880s)

Bethel

Harpers > Harper (1896)

Lanes > Lane (1892)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved