South Carolina Railroads - Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

GS&A RR

1910

1910

1914*

Spartanburg, SC Belton, SC

Greenwood, SC Anderson, SC
* 1914 - Merged into the Piedmont & Northern Railway on July 1st.

In 1910, the Piedmont Traction Company was formed as a street railway to operate in and around Gastonia, NC. In the same year, the Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson Railway Company was formed in South Carolina as a street railway authorized to run between fixed termini.

The two companies then formed a syndicate, with the PTC acquiring the Charlotte, NC street railway, whereas the GS&A bought the Belton, SC - Anderson, SC line, besides both companies building new lines and securing trackage rights over the lines of various street railways.

The network as it finally stood was finished in April, 1914. Later in 1914, the PTC and the GS&A amalgamated into the Piedmont & Northern Railway Company.

The Electric Traction Weekly magazine of January 15, 1910 reported: "The Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway Company has been incorporated with a capital of $300,000. The company, which is backed by the Duke syndicate, proposes to extend the lines of the Anderson Traction company, of Anderson, SC, from Belton, through Williamston, Pelzer and Piedmont on the Greenville and thence 30 miles to Spartanburg. The total length of the system when completed will be 65 miles. The incorporators are J. B. Duke, B. N. Duke, Ellison Smyth, W. J. Thackston, H. J. Haynesworth, and Lewis W. Parker."
The Electric Railway Journal of February 11, 1911 reported: "Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway, Anderson, SC — The Duke interests propose to incorporate the Piedmont & Northern Railway with a capital stock of $5,000,000 to take over the Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway and other properties which they control but which are not yet specified. The company will be incorporated by J. B. Duke, Somerville, N. J.; B. N. Duke, New York City; Samuel McRoberts, New York City; W. S. Lee, Charlotte,
NC; Ellison A. Smyth, Greenville, and Lewis W. Parker, Greenville."
The Electric Railway Journal of June 24, 1911 reported: "Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway, Greenville, SC, has ordered seventeen four-compartment, high-speed interurban cars 60 ft. long from the Jewett Car Company.
The Electric Railway Journal of June 14, 1913 reported: "Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway, Charlotte, NC, has ordered six 60-ton, 1500-volt electric locomotives from the General Electric Company."
The Electric Railway Journal of January 3, 1914 reported: "Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway, Greenville, SC, has ordered two parlor cars and ten trailers from the Southern Car Company."
The Electric Railway Journal of April 4, 1914 reported: "Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway, Greenville, SC — This company has placed in operation its line between Greenville and Spartanburg, a distance of 90 miles.

Towns on Route (in SC):

Line #1 - Spartanburg to Greenwood:

Spartanburg

Tucapau > Startex (1949)

Duncan

Greer

Chick Springs

Taylors

Greenville

Piedmont

Pelzer

Williamston

Cheddar

Belton

Honea Path

Donalds

Shoals Junction (1910)

Hodges

Greenwood

Line #2 - Belton to Anderson:

Belton

Toxaway

Anderson



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved